Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Questions From The Mail Bag...


I actually get a fair amount of mail as a result of the blog. And I'm happy to provide the odd bit of advice, but sometimes it gets really, really odd...

I like to hear from people and trade war stories. Its fun. Its exciting and it keeps you on your toes. But TV is a business and its a tough one. Here's a disclaimer - Reading this blog will not teach you everything you need to know about pitching shows. I was working in the business for 10 years before I did my first pitch.

A guy wrote saying that he'd studied my blog, had written a pitch bible and was ready to sell his show. Hey great! Good for you!

Except - there are a couple of things that I don't touch on - on purpose. A couple of missing key elements, without which - he's going to look really stupid in that pitch meeting. As in - you get one chance, and you've blown it, Charlie.

Of course, the Pitch Bibles that I write on commission are complete in every way - ready to pitch.

Another person wrote, asking who at "Broadcaster X" should he pitch his show?

If it were me, I'd call the senior person who I've known for 15 years - and who knows me and my work. If it was a client - and I knew the person and the project, I might be able to make the introduction. But I won't introduce strangers because - unless I've seen the project, I can't vouch for its professionalism.

What I'm trying to say is - before you send a note saying, "Hey Steve-Baby! I read your blog so I'm as smart as you. Watch out - 'cause I'm out there pitching shows!" (And yes, I do get mail like that.) All I can say is "lotsa luck" - and you're not as smart as you think you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment