Thursday, April 21, 2011

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

I pitched a show to a production company yesterday. The pitch went very well - they "got" the idea - it's a cool show. It may turn into a development deal.

Nice. Nice. Nice... Yeah. Yeah. Yeah....

Moving on... They've asked me not to show or pitch the show/idea to anyone while "we" decide how to proceed. Its common that once you're out pitching, you set up a bunch of meetings - and you pitch your show around town until you get the right deal. But in this case, they've asked that I not show it to anyone. They want to keep it under wraps until we're ready to pitch it to broadcasters. (They like the creative, but feel it needs a bit of refinement.)

This is fine with me. Now I'll get to the point...

A faithful reader sent a link to his blog page a few months back. The blog was about the show he was (or maybe still is) pitching. I'll be honest, it was probably the best idea for an animated show that I've seen in a LONG time. And he's got it sitting out there for anyone to "borrow".

First thing - I told him to remove it from the web. Right now. This very second. Only show it to the people that you want to see it - don't show your fresh, bright, new idea to the world - because ideas can't be copywritten. They're like free intellectual properties.

Little minnows swimming in a shark tank.

But he didn't listen. His idea is still posted up there - and I expect to see it, or something very "similar" on the tube in the next few years...

NEVER POST YOUR LIVE OR WORKING PITCHES ONLINE!

YOU NEVER KNOW WHO'S WATCHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment