Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Key Idea...

I've had a few notes over the past few weeks, people sending Pitch Bibles, links to 'pilots', etc., all asking the same question: "What do you think of my project?"

To be honest, some of them are good. Some are "less than good". I've heard one really neat, original idea that I think should be developed.

But the question that I ask in response to my correspondents is about the key idea behind their show: in the simplest terms "Why Should I Care?"

Why should I care? Why would I (or anyone) watch your show instead of some old House re-run? What's in it for me, in terms of the investment of my time and attention?

When you have a good answer to that question, you're well on the way to developing a successful pitch. So what is the answer?

Strong characters. Strong motivation. Clear goals. Clear obstacles to be over come.
All that 'writer' stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment